Patient Focused Subcommittee
The Treatment/Survivorship/Palliative Care committee will address issues related to patients who have been diagnosed with cancer and are at any stage in the cancer continuum The committee is made up of individuals interested in:
- Treatment and Care – Ensuring that all citizens have access to and financial coverage for timely and appropriate cancer treatment and ensuring the highest quality of care among diverse populations.
- Research and Clinical Trials – Identifying priorities for cancer research, advocating for funding for cancer research, finding ways to prevent and detect cancer, and improving treatment options through increased participation in clinical trials.
- Palliation and Quality of Life – Ensuring that more people know about available resources for palliation and quality of life; and use them to help cope with the effects of cancer and cancer treatment.
- Survivorship – Improving the quality of life for people diagnosed with cancer who are living with, through, or beyond cancer from the moment of diagnosis. Survivorship also includes family members, friends and caregivers.
Goals & Objectives:
- Promote Clinical Trials
- Optimize the Quality of Life for Cancer Survivors adn Significant Others through Community-Based Wellness Programs and Clinical Linkages
- Provide Essential Survivorship Management Tools and Services to Cancer Survivors
- Impact the Quality of Life of Cancer Patients by Providing American Cancer Society Information and Referral to National, Local, and Community Resources, Programs, and Services
During six months of chemotherapy, I kept working. I would have my chemotherapy on Friday afternoon, go home and sleep to ward off the nausea, and be back to work on Monday morning. I still remember very clearly each treatment, each x-ray, each time I had to have blood tests. But now I remember how it changed my life, how it made me more appreciative of the people and events in my life. I would have never thought that 22 years ago that I would be sharing my story, helping other cancer patients, and be a healthy, happy, wife and mother.
Barb Anderson, Dublin,
Hodgkin's Lymphoma Survivor